Sunday, February 15, 2009

More Considerations....

I found the most interesting blog while searching the reading challenges. It's called A Striped Armchair at http://astripedarmchair.wordpress.com/. She reviewed a book in one of her posts that has one of the best passages about reading:

Happily, most readers fall between these two drastic extremes. Most of us neither shun books in veneration of literature, not shun literature in veneration of books. Our craft is more modest. We pick our way down endless library shelves, choosing this or that volume for no discernible reason: because of a cover, a title, a name, because of something someone said or didn’t say, because of a hunch, a whim, a mistake, because we think we may find in this book a particular tale or character or detail, because we believe it was written for us, because we believe it was written for everyone except us and we want to find out why we were excluded, because we want to learn, or laugh, or lose ourselves in oblivion.

This is from The Library at Night by Alberto Manguel. I think I have that around here somewhere.....

2 comments:

Didi said...

That's funny... I particularly like "...because we want to find out why we were excluded". My reading patterns change almost yearly, because I'll see someone reading something and wonder why I haven't read it.

BookDiva said...

I do the same thing. I wonder how I missed reading or even hearing about a particular book. So, of course, I must seek it out to see what all the hoopla is about.